Friday, April 4, 2008

I've Been Drinking from the Cup of Hafiz!

The Ceiling at the tomb of Hafiz
Photo from Roozbeh Taassob @ Wikimedia Commons

There is no sweeter nectar for the heart and soul than the poetry of the great Sufi master Hafiz. I have taken to opening up my copy of "The Gift" in the morning to begin my day with some pure unadulterated joy. I have fallen, and fallen hard, for Daniel Ladinsky's translations of my beloved Hafiz. Pick up a copy, you will most certainly will not regret it. Here is my favorite poem of all time:


If The Falling of a Hoof

If the falling of a hoof
Ever rings the temple bells,


If a lonely man's final scream
before he hangs himself


And the nightingale's perfect lyric
Of happiness
All become an equal cause to dance,

The Sun has at last parted
It's curtain before you-

God has stopped playing child's games
With your mind
And dragged you backstage
By the hair,

Shown to you the only possible
Reason

For this bizarre and spectacular
Existence.

Go running through the streets
Creating divine chaos,

Make everyone and yourself ecstatically mad
For the Friend's beautiful open arms.

Go running through this world
Giving love, giving love,

If the falling of a hoof upon this earth
Ever rings the
Temple
Bell.


Oh My God! I love that poem soooooooooo much. I feel such unimaginable bliss and awe every single time I read it. I can almost see Hafiz sitting on the steps of a temple, giggling away as a passing camel's footfall rings the temple bells... Oh what a beautiful and wondrous world it is that we live in!

No comments: