Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Transcendental Ornamentation!

The other day I went to the Harvest Festival at Bethel Woods (at the site of the Woodstock Concert) and there was a lovely woman with a very cool tent giving henna tattoos. Michelle Dawson is the artist of this beautiful tattoo'd hand, her card reads Henna Body Art by Michelle. She offers private appointments as well as parties and special events. In India women get henna tattoos for their wedding and it's soooooooo beautiful! If I get married again I think I will give Michelle a call! Check her out, she's a very cool woman!

Early in my teens, as well as off and on in later years, I worked in a record/paraphanalia /punk clothing and accessories store in Montpelier, Vermont. The store, Buch Spieler, is still there. The owner, Fred Wilbur, remains to this day my absolute favorite boss of all time. I could write several posts about my times at Buch Spieler. So, anyway, most of my friends at the time were either 'punks' or 'hippies' and I was probably somewhere in between but I was always a little too fashionable to be considered either. (I've always loved fashion.) Many of my friends got tattoos and piercings but I never had the desire to do either, beyond the three holes in each of my ears which I'd already had for several years. I've always loved body art but it just was not something I wanted for myself as a teen.

Then suddenly in my mid twenties I had the desire to get an Om tattoo. I was living in an ashram at the time and the idea would just not leave my head. I sat on the desire for about six months to make sure that it wasn't simply a passing fancy. When I was certain that I would not change my mind I asked an artist friend of mine to design my tattoo for me. He searched in books for inspiration but nothing was jumping out at him. Finally, one evening we were talking on the phone and for no particular reason I casually picked a book up off of my bookshelf. It was an old chanting book that I had not used in years. As I picked it up a small gift card fell out. It was a card from a gift that my spiritual teacher had given me when I was about twelve years old. My spiritual name, Nitya, was hand written on the front and at the end of the 'a' an Om was drawn with great flourish. I had never noticed the om before! I could think of no better inspiration, so I rushed over to my friend's apartment and showed him the card. I got my tattoo shortly after in Woodstock, NY at Pat's Tats.

I have never regretted getting my tattoo and I have been ruminating on another for several years now. I have a design that I actually created for TempleGreen.com that came from a tattoo I had wanted to get. I had given up on the idea because I couldn't find the right design. Until, one day, I stepped back from the design I had done and realized I'd drawn it myself! I hadn't thought before that I could draw something so detailed... Eventually I will get my Phoenix/Feng Huang! (You can see the design in the August post "Aaah! The Power of Wisdom and Intention".)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ha ha ha ha! Five years later and I will be getting my feng huang but it is an entirely new design. Also I have gotten an octopus tattoo, in the style of mehndi, and the feng huang will be in the style of mehndi as well :-)